- Website Listing: Individual members receive an ongoing listing in the Find a Music Teacher directory on the VMTA website. Listing includes member name, qualifications, studio name (if applicable), areas taught, membership type, contact details, teaching location, and up to 2 social media/url links. A dedicated piano accompanist search facility is also available. Members can log in and edit their contact details and directory preferences at any time.
- Premium Profile: Individual members can purchase a premium profile to enhance their basic website listing. This includes a detailed description of teaching services, additional links to YouTube, Facebook and Twitter and a photo or other image.
- Professional Development: Discounted attendance at regular professional learning events.
- Performance Opportunities for Student of VMTA Members: Members can enrol their students in the Student Concerts Series and Performance Day.
- Publications: Monthly eNews, updates, blog subscription updates
- Accreditation and Post-Nominals: Full members can use the ‘VMTA Fully Accredited’ badge in their digital and print communications, and place the letters MVMTA after their name as evidence of full accreditation. Associate, Graduate and Student members can apply to be upgraded at any time providing they can meet the full membership criteria.
- Social & Networking Opportunities: The VMTA provides opportunities to socialise and network with other VMTA members, e.g. our annual end-of-year celebration.
- Discounts: Members and publication subscribers receive a 10% discount when advertising in the monthly eNews. Members may also request an official receipt for their current membership and show this as proof of membership to receive teacher discounts at various music retail outlets.
- Piano Hire: Members receive a substantial discount on the hire of our Schimmel grand piano located at St Peter’s Anglican Church Box Hill. To enquire, please contact Cecilia Joyner, Parish Administrator: Tel: (03) 9899 5122; Email: , or visit http://www.anglicansboxhill.org.au/hire-of-vmta-piano/. The church office is staffed on a Tuesday and Thursday. If your enquiry is urgent, please contact the VMTA office, Tel: (03) 5243 4200, Email:
A Full Member (fully accredited member) must:
- Have taught their discipline for at least 3 years, or have worked professionally as an accompanist for at least 3 years. This must include at least one year of teaching or accompanying in Australia
- Have reached a high standard in the instrument taught being a minimum of Grade 8 (AMEB or equivalent), or have attained an equivalent level through tertiary studies or other practical training
- Have completed an approved tertiary course in music or music teaching, which could include the following: a graduate degree, bachelor degree, diploma of music, or any music qualification obtained from a recognised university or tertiary education institute (e.g. TAFE) (overseas equivalents will be accepted).
The VMTA Board will also consider teacher training diplomas, degrees and certificates in lieu of tertiary music qualifications, for example DipEd, MEd, Suzuki or Yamaha music teacher accreditation, Kodaly/Orff teaching certificate, Certificate IV in Teaching and Assessment, DipABRSM (Instrumental Teaching) and ATMusA (AMEB). Please note that AMEB practical examination grades are not considered formal qualifications.
An Associate Member must:
- Have taught their discipline or have worked professionally as a piano accompanist for a minimum of 12 months in Australia but is otherwise ineligible for Full Membership
- Have reached a high standard in the instrument taught being a minimum of Grade 8 (AMEB or equivalent) or have attained an equivalent level through other practical training.
A Graduate Member must:
- Have completed an approved tertiary course in music and/or music teaching
A Student Member must:
- Have satisfied the Council that they are enrolled full time in an approved tertiary course in music and/or music teaching
School membership is available to any Victorian government, independent, or non-government registered school.
The benefits of school membership include:
- All staff at the school can attend VMTA professional learning events at the member rate
- Monthly eNews and updates
- Students of the school may participate in masterclasses and student concerts
- Provision of support, advice and advocacy including recommended teaching rates
Affiliated Organisation Membership
This category is open to organisations who would like to be affiliated with the VMTA and are interested in supporting us. Benefits include the monthly eNews, discounted advertising in our publications, discounted hire of our Schimmel grand piano located at St Peter's Anglican Church Box Hill, and discounted attendance at professional learning events for interested staff.