Welcome to our 2017 Student Concert Series
BOOKINGS FOR CONCERT ON SUN 30 APRIL NOW OPEN
A series of informal, friendly and supportive performance opportunities for students of VMTA members.
Open entry - all levels, all instruments, ALL WELCOME - including beginners!
The VMTA Student Concert Series is up and running again this year. Please note there will be no concert in Term 1. Instead we are hosting two concerts in Term 2, a Performance Day in Term 3, and one concert in Term 4.
This year we have aligned the dates of the Student Concert Series more closely with examination session dates. This gives students who are preparing for an exam the opportunity to gain valuable performance experience leading up to their exam. However, any student of a VMTA member is encouraged to perform, whether they are preparing for an exam or not.
Sunday 30 April, 2-4pm
Saturday 27 May, 3-5pm
Sunday 13 August
Session 1: 2.00-3.30pm (AMEB Preliminary to Grade 5 or equivalent)
Session 2: 4.00-5.30pm (AMEB Grade 6 to LMusA or equivalent)
This will be a focussed opportunity for students to perform on any instrument in front of an experienced presenter. Performers will receive a written critique sheet comprising feedback about their performance. Performers will also benefit from advice about preparing for exams and performing in general.
There will be two concerts, one for preliminary to intermediate level students, and one for more advanced students. To help cover the cost of the presenter, there will be a small charge per student to perform. Information about the presenter will be advised in due course and bookings will open 4 weeks prior to the event.
Please note that the Performance Day will not be suitable for beginners who have not yet reached AMEB Preliminary level or equivalent.
Saturday 21 October, 3-5pm
Richmond Uniting Church
314 Church Street
Richmond VIC 3121
Student Concerts - Term 2 and 4
Performance Day - Term 3
Discounted price to attend 2 Performance Day concerts as an audience member:
The cost for a student to perform is $15 per student, per performance. Students may perform once only on their chosen instrument, however if they wish, they may perform twice on two different instruments. There is a special price for audience members who wish to attend both concerts due to student enrolments in both concerts. This year, there will be no charge for VMTA members to attend a student concert or the Performance Day.
Please note that all performers must be booked in!
To book for the Student Concert to be held on Sunday 30 April visit https://www.trybooking.com/book/event?embed&eid=271734
Online bookings for all other concerts, including the performance day, will open approximately 4 weeks prior to each event.
Performers MUST be booked in.
Information for performers:
- Students who are working at Beginner to Grade 3 level may perform up to 2 pieces.
- Students working at Grade 4+ level may perform 1 piece or a movement from a larger work.
- If piano accompaniment is required, performers are asked to bring their own accompanist. If assistance is required in finding an accompanist, please contact the office in advance of the event.
- Please note the venue is equipped with a beautiful Schimmel grand piano for use by pianists and accompanists. A music stand will be provided for other instrumentalists.
- We kindly ask that performers arrive on time and stay for the duration of the concert in order to support other performers.
- If you are performing, you will be asked to provide some information at the time of booking. Please have the following information available:
- Name of performer
- Grade level (AMEB or equivalent)
- Name and composer of piece/s to be performed
- Name of performer’s teacher
- Parent's name, email address and phone number
- Indicate whether you are bringing an accompanist
- A program will be emailed to performers a few days prior to the event and will also be available at the concert.
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the concert to sign in.
- In case of an emergency on the day, please call Genevieve Newton, General Manager on 0408 770 376.
To assist us in making the program interesting for the audience, we kindly ask that performers prepare a brief introduction of 1-2 sentences about the piece they are performing. Performers are asked to introduce their own item. Please contact us if you have any concerns or queries about this.
Directions & Parking
Please allow plenty of time for parking as the area can be busy on the weekend. There is unlimited parking in Church Street all day on Sunday and from 1pm on Saturday. The location is well serviced by trains and trams and there is a tram stop outside the church.