Information for Students

Quality teaching by quality teachers
The Victorian Music Teachers' Association (VMTA) has over 750 members comprising instrumental music teachers and piano accompanists who work in their own studio and in schools throughout metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria. Members are not employed or engaged by the VMTA but are listed as teachers or accompanists on our website after joining our professional association.

Members receive ongoing professional development and a range of services to ensure they continue to develop their skills and knowledge, and are kept up to date with developments in their profession. We also provide our members with networking opportunities, general support, and information about teaching and accompanying rates and conditions.

There are 4 main types of individual membership:

  • Full members (fully accredited)
  • Associate members
  • Graduate members
  • Student members
VMTA Member Qualifications and Experience

Full Members (fully accredited)

  • Tertiary qualifications in music performance or teaching (graduate/undergraduate music degree/diploma, teaching degree/diploma), or completion of a short teacher training certificate combined with a minimum standard of AMEB Certificate of Performance (or equivalent) in main instrument.
  • Minimum of 3 years professional experience

 Associate members

  • Minimum AMEB Grade 8 or equivalent in main instrument
  • Minimum 1 year professional experience

 Student members

  • Must be enrolled in an approved tertiary music course
  • May already have teaching experience

Graduate members

  • Must have recently graduated from an approved tertiary music course
  • May already have teaching experience

Working with Children Check and VIT Registration
It is the responsibility of teachers to hold a valid Working with Children Check from the Department of Justice or proof of registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT). Prior to engaging a music teacher or accompanist, parents and students are encouraged to check with the individual teacher regarding their WCC or VIT status. Evidence of WWC and VIT status can be produced via an official card that is held by the teacher. The VMTA accepts no responsibility for teachers who do not have a current and valid Working with Children Check or VIT registration.


How to find a music teacher:

  • Go to the Find a Music Teacher page
  • Search by instrument and location within km range
  • If you already know of a teacher you can search by name
  • You can also search for piano accompanists only

Need assistance? Call the office on (03) 5243 4200 Monday to Thursday from 9am-5.30pm and we will be happy to help you find a teacher or accompanist.

VMTA Member Login

Subscribe to our Mailing List
This service is available to non-members and interested persons who would like to receive regular email updates about VMTA events and activities. To receive the free newsletter, enter your name and email address below.
We only use your email address to provide you with VMTA updates.
We will never pass it on to anyone else.