- Website Listing: Individual members receive an ongoing advertisement in the VMTA 'Find a Music Teacher' directory. Members can log in and edit their personal details.
- Website Profile: Individual members can purchase a premium profile enabling them to enhance their basic website listing by adding a photo or other image, a detailed description of their teaching services, and additional links to YouTube, Facebook and Twitter.
- Professional Development and Events: Masterclasses, student concerts, workshops and conferences. Members may attend these events at a discounted rate. Only students of VMTA members may participate in masterclasses and student concerts unless otherwise advertised.
- Publications: Receipt of the VMTA's half-yearly publication Music and the Teacher magazine and the monthly eNews. Members and subscribers receive a 10% discount when advertising in these publications.
- Post-Nominals: Full members can place the letters MVMTA after their name as evidence of their fully accredited membership status. Associate, Graduate and Student members can apply to be upgraded at any time providing they can meet the full membership criteria.*
- Social & Networking Opportunities: The VMTA provides opportunities to socialise and network with other VMTA members, e.g. our annual end-of-year celebration.
- Discounts: Members receive discounts on purchases at affiliated music stores and special consideration at selected retail outlets. They also receive a discount on the hire of our Schimmel grand piano housed in Richmond Uniting Church.
* fully accredited members only
A Full Member (fully accredited member) shall be aged 18 years or over. Full membership may be granted at the discretion of the VMTA Council to teachers or accompanists who fulfil the following requirements:
- Have taught their discipline for at least 3 years, or have worked professionally as an accompanist for at least 3 years. This must include at least one year of teaching or accompanying in Australia
- Have reached a high standard in the instrument taught being a minimum of Grade 8 (AMEB), or have attained an equivalent level through tertiary studies or other practical training
- Have satisfied the Council that the applicant is a qualified teacher of music or accompanist, having completed a course of study approved by the Council
- An approved course of study may include the following: a graduate degree, bachelor degree, or diploma of music or teaching obtained from a recognised university or other tertiary education institute (e.g. TAFE) (overseas equivalents may be accepted); Suzuki or Yamaha music teacher accreditation, Kodaly/Orff teaching certificate, Certificate IV in Teaching and Assessment, DipABRSM (Instrumental Teaching) and ATMusA (AMEB). Please note that AMEB practical examination grades are not considered formal qualifications
An Associate Member shall be a person who is aged 18 years or over and must:
- Be currently teaching music and has taught music for a minimum of 12 months but is otherwise ineligible for Full Membership
- Have reached a high standard in the instrument taught being a minimum of Grade 8 (AMEB) or have attained an equivalent level through other practical training
A Graduate Member shall be a person who is aged 18 years or over and:
- Has completed an approved tertiary course in music and/or music teaching
A Student Member shall be a person who is aged 16 years or over and:
- Has satisfied the Council that they are enrolled full time in an approved tertiary course in music and/or music teaching
- Has been enrolled in such course not more than 6 years
School membership is available to any Victorian government, independent, or non-government registered school. The cost of a 2017 school membership with the VMTA is $155.
The benefits of school membership include:
- Two hard copies of the VMTA half-yearly publication 'Music and the Teacher' to share amongst staff
- An email copy of the publication sent to all nominated music staff with an email address
- Monthly eNews sent to all nominated music staff with an email address
- All staff at the school will receive the member rate when attending VMTA professional learning events
- Students of the school may participate in masterclasses and student concerts
- Provision of support, advice and advocacy including recommended teaching rates
Affiliated Organisation Membership
This category is open to organisations who would like to be affiliated with the VMTA and receive the publications and discount rates. Benefits include the monthly eNews, receipt of and discounted advertising in 'Music and the Teacher' magazine, discounted hire of the Schimmel grand piano housed at Richmond Uniting Church, and discounted attendance at professional learning events for interested staff.