Autumn Workshop 2017
Sunday 12 & Monday 13 March
Labour Day Weekend
Caulfield Grammar School
Wheelers Hill Campus
74-82 Jells Road, Wheelers Hill, Vic, 3150
A two-day workshop for instrumental music teachers
Be inspired, develop your knowledge and skills, and prepare for the year ahead with this practical two day workshop designed for instrumental music teachers working in their own studio or in schools. Day One will be of benefit to piano teachers, and Day Two will offer a broad range of topics for teachers of any instrument or voice. On Day 2 there will be a session on teaching students with special needs which will count towards the requirements for VIT registration. One and two day bookings are available at member, non-member and student rates.
Sunday 12 March (Day 1) (for piano teachers)
9.25am: Welcome and Introduction
- The New Bastien Piano Series for AMEB P-Plate Piano (Presented by Rodney Smith, AMEB)
- A Practical Approach to Playing Baroque Music on the Modern Piano (Timothy Young)
- An Evolutionary Approach to Piano Technique Part 1 (Jody Heald)
- An Evolutionary Approach to Piano Technique Part 2 (Jody Heald)
Monday 13 March (Day 2) (for teachers of any instrument or voice)
9.25am: Welcome and Introduction
- Developing Musicianship Skills (Jennifer Gillan)
- Apps, Games and Activities for Developing Aural and Theory Skills Part 1 (Anna van Veldhuisen)
- Breakout sessions:
- Apps, Games and Activities for Developing Aural and Theory Skills Part 2 (Anna van Veldhuisen)
- Preparing Students for VCE Music Performance and Investigation (Rachel Atkinson)
- Teaching Students with Special Needs: An Open Forum (Dr Julie Haskell & Dr Tracey Edgar)
One day rate
VMTA member: $175
Two day rate
VMTA member: $260
Ticket prices inclusive of all meals, including lunch.
STOP PRESS! 20% discount offer!
On Day 1, piano teachers will be able to purchase copies of the new Bastien Piano Series for 20% off the normal price.
How to Book:
To book online and pay by credit card, visit https://www.trybooking.com/255967. Please contact the office by email vmta [at] vmta.org.au or phone (03) 5243 4200 if you need to arrange an alternative method of payment.
BOOKINGS CLOSE at 5pm on Sunday 5 March.
Meals and Refreshments:
Morning tea, afternoon tea and lunch will be provided. Gluten free, non-dairy and vegetarian options are available. Please indicate any dietary requirements at the time of booking.
- Non-members who apply and pay for their membership prior to booking may receive the member rate in advance of their membership being formally approved. To apply, please contact the office.
- A member of a state-based MTA or the GMTA may book at the member rate as part of a reciprocal arrangement.
What to Bring:
- Pen, pencil, paper and clipboard as seating will be in lecture theatre style
- For Apps, Games and Activities for Developing Aural and Theory Skills Part 1 & 2 (Day 2), teachers are encouraged to bring a tablet or laptop, where possible.
- For Teaching Students with Special Needs: An Open Forum (Day 2), teachers are invited to share their experiences on the day or submit examples they have encountered in their studio by emailing the VMTA office by 6 March.
The registration desk will be located in the foyer of Memorial Hall at Caulfield Grammar School, Wheelers Hill Campus. Enter the school grounds at the roundabout on Jells Road, and continue along the main driveway to access the car park where ample onsite parking will be available. Memorial Hall is on the left immediately after reception (look for the stained glass windows and double glass doors). Most of the workshop sessions will be held in the main auditorium and the function room will be used for meal breaks and trade displays.
View the venue map here
Tel: (03) 5243 4200
Email: vmta [at] vmta.org.au
The VMTA gratefully acknowledges the support of our presenters and our sponsors AMEB (Federal Office) and Caulfield Grammar School.