Aims of the VMTA:
- to bring together persons associated with the music teaching profession
- to encourage and assist in establishing and promoting high standards of music teaching in Victoria
- to encourage music teachers to improve the quality of their teaching
- to offer professional development opportunities for teachers and their students through lectures, performances, workshops and masterclasses
- to comment as appropriate upon matters relating to or affecting music and music teacher training
- to protect and advance the professional interests of members of the Association without prejudice
- to foster and extend the appreciation of music in the community
The Constitution of the Victorian Music Teachers' Association allows a maximum of 12 Council Members. The Executive Council comprises the President, Vice-President and Treasurer. Council members support the planning and running of VMTA events in an honorary capacity.
Julie Haskell - President
Genevieve Newton - General Manager
The VMTA offers the following types of membership:
- Affiliate Organisation
The VMTA has approximately 750 members.
The Victorian Music Teachers' Association was established in 1928. It was then known as 'The Association of Music Teachers of Victoria Ltd'.